7. And when the Philistines heard that the children of Israel were gathered together to Mizpeh, the lords of the Philistines went up against Israel. And when the children of Israel heard it, they were afraid of the Philistines. 8. And the children of Israel said to Samuel, Cease not to cry unto the LORD our God for us, that he will save us out of the hand of the Philistines. 9. And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and offered it for a burnt offering wholly unto the LORD: and Samuel cried unto the LORD for Israel; and the LORD heard him. 10. And as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel: but the LORD thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; and they were smitten before Israel. 11. And the men of Israel went out of Mizpeh, and pursued the Philistines, and smote them, until they came under Bethcar. 12.Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us.
The entire story began in 1 Samuel 4. Israel was hit by a very deadly defeat, over 30 thousand men were killed, the two sons of Eli were killed, the ark of Covenant was captured by the Philistines.
Many years passed, the Ark returned , another Prophet now in charge. Israel gathered to seek the face of their God . While they were at Mizpeh seeking the face of God, the Philistines, the same enemy that gave them a deadly defeat gathered themselves against them. Their hearts failed them they could not concentrate on what they came for, they cried out to Samuel
.. And the children of Israel said to Samuel, Cease not to cry unto the Lord our God for us, that he will save us out of the hand of the Philistines.
They were indeed troubled. Verses 9 says
… and Samuel cried unto the Lord for Israel; and the Lord heard him.
Samuel cried unto the Lord on-behalf of his people and the Lord heard him , God heard him and stepped in
I don’t know what the situation you have been crying out to God is , don’t give up because when God steps in
- You become conqueror where you were ones defeated.
- When the Lord steps in that which defeated you and rubbished you in the past flees at his presence
- When God steps in, the enemies’ rating changes: They stop being rated by the strength of their arms.
- When God steps in, your own rating changes: you become rated by the strength your God
- When God steps in, He inherits your battles.
- When God steps in, He exchanges your stress for His rest.
- When God steps in, He glorifies Himself through your crisis.
- When God steps in, He makes you the dreaded and the feared in the camps of your enemies.
- When God steps in, He gives you a song of deliverance to sing over what made you worry.
- When God steps in, the impossible becomes possible
- When God steps in you become a champion where you ones failed.
- When God steps in, your nature changes, your countenance changes, your situation changes, your life becomes transfigured.
- When God steps in, he who once laughed at you will turn to Laugh with you.
Oh David captured it perfectly in Psalm 18
The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears. Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth. There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it. He bowed the heavens also, and came down:
He bowed the Heaven, and came down , in his glory , he stepped in when he heard me.
Yea, he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; and he shot out lightnings, and discomfited them. Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils. He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me. They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay. He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.
Beloved, when God steps in , your story changes. Jabez cried unto God. God stepped in changed his story and made him more honorable than his brethren.
9.And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. 10.And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested. I chronicles 4: 9-10
In Mark 9:37-38, We were told a story of the disciple’s encounter with the storm at sea
And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships. And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
They were about to sink, they cried unto Him in their distress, He stepped in and rebuked the storm and the wind ceased.
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits’ end. Then they cried unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. -Psalm 107:27
I don’t know the storm that you may be facing, I don’t know how far you have been driven , have you been driven to your wits’ end. It is time to cry out to God, it is time to get Heaven to step in.
They cried unto the Lord in their distress….and he bringeth them out of their distress.
For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard. Psalm 22:24
O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires. And I will make thy windows of agates, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all thy borders of pleasant stones. And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children. In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee. Behold, they shall surely gather together, but not by me: whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake….No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD. Isaiah 54:11-17
The prayer of my heart oh God is that you step into my case. Oh that you may hear the cry of my heart. That you may
hear from Heaven and answer me. Hear my voice and send deliverance,that men may know that they are nothing
but dust. That the world may know that thou Oh God ruleth in the affairs of men. Re-right the text of my life now oh God, floodlight my life , let me blaze with your glory.
The bands of marauders are on every side, may I never be caught in their trap, be the bedrock under my feet, arm me with strength to vault the highest fences. Arm me Oh God and aim me in the right direction.